This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Saturday 28 April 2018

Remembering Mel

Remembering Mel Bartholomew
Founder of Square Foot Gardening
1931 - 2016



Today is the two-year anniversary of the passing of Square Foot Gardening founder, Mel Bartholomew.

Since I wrote my article, "Mel's Square Foot Garden" for the Hamilton Spectator last April, I've noticed a resurgence of Square Foot Gardening talk and articles, particularly in online blogs.

Some people are blogging about "their own" Square Foot Gardens, and businesses are giving voice to the Square Foot Gardening method as a professional boost, but none of them seem to be giving credit to the inventor himself or providing a link to the Square Foot Gardening Website.

By not giving proper credit to Mr. Bartholomew, these individuals and businesses are essentially taking credit for something not their own; and, while Mel Bartholomew is no longer living on this earth, I believe that he still deserves recognition for his creative and ground-breaking gardening method, that enhanced this earth.

I am, therefore, appealing to other writers and especially fellow bloggers, to carefully research the subjects of which you write. Give full credit to those whose methods are the basis for what you do and say, otherwise, it’s plagiarism.

Mel Bartholomew gave the gardening world a wonderful new approach that revolutionized vegetable gardens world-wide; and, he and other pioneers who have gone before deserve their due.