This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Saturday 22 July 2017

Deep Root Watering

Click Image to Enlarge
Orange Plastic Deep Watering Spike
Shown Separate from Pop Bottle Reservoir

Last year I lost my tomato crop to 'bottom end rot'. This condition, I've learned, is mostly due to lack of calcium, and inconsistent watering.

This year I've made sure to provide adequate calcium; but, as my tomatoes began to flower I started worrying about maintaining consistent water.

I remembered using deep watering spikes, years ago, and discovered that Lee Valley still sells them. Orange plastic spikes (see photo above) with small holes in the bottom, are designed to be used with 2 litre plastic pop bottles.

My husband picked me up a set of six spikes, and I set about scrounging up pop bottles. A Facebook plea produced two replies with offers of empties located in their blue boxes.

Within 24 hours, I had rounded up four clear 2 litre pop bottles, exactly the number of tomato plants I needed to water. I quickly removed the labels, rinsed the bottles out, and then drilled a 3/4" hole in the bottom of each for ease of watering.

With the plastic spikes screwed onto the pop bottles and the spiked bottles pushed into the soil in each tomato pot, deep root watering was begun. Easy-peasy!

The bottles empty at different rates depending on how much sun or rain the pots receive; essentially, I refill each bottle using a funnel and my watering can each morning. The roots don't get over-watered because there are generous drainage holes in the pot bottoms.

With the two remaining spikes and a couple of additionally acquired pop bottles, I'm going to also apply this deep root watering system to keeping my lettuces and strawberries hydrated.

This cost effective (approximately $2 per pot) deep root watering system is, so far, a wonderful help in my garden. Fingers crossed, it will continue to help prevent bottom end rot in my tomatoes as the growing season progresses.