This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Tuesday 18 July 2017

Choosing Delight

Mattie-Belle
Holding One of our 

1st Red Pontiac Spuds

When our Red Pontiac Potatoes had finished flowering, grand-daughter Mattie-Belle and I decided to have a look to see how the seed potatoes were developing.

We rooted thoroughly through the soil, only to harvest four meager red-skinned potatoes. It was a little disappointing for me, although the tops had not even started to wilt yet.

Mattie-Belle, on the other hand, was delighted with our initial harvest. She rushed into the house to wash off the dirt and had already taken a bite out of the smallest potato - "the baby one," she said - before I'd even had time to replace the soil in the pot.

The potatoes tasted delicious with my dinner the next evening, so I remain hopeful we'll enjoy more home-grown potatoes as the season progresses. At this growth rate, though, the total number of new potatoes we ultimately harvest may not even outnumber the seed potatoes from which I grew them in the first place.

If the final potato count is small, my plan is to mirror Mattie-Belle's harvest philosophy - After all, choosing delight over disappointment makes good gardening sense to me.