This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Tuesday 11 April 2017

Budding Gardener

Click on Image to Enlarge
Mattie-Belle & Our Seedlings

Two evenings spent planting seeds with the help of 5-yr-old grand-daughter is the equivalent of ... well, there is no equivalent. It's a combination of trying to control tiny dextrous hands that move at the speed of light, keeping up with thought processes and verbal ability of which I can only marvel, and feeling the absolute exhaustion that can only follow a delightful sharing experience.

We planted arugula because Mattie-Belle gushes, "I love arugula!" She also requested carrots and broccoli. I chose kale, lettuce, peppers, chives, peas, cucumber, dill, parsley, beets and tomatoes.

Corn, squash and pumpkins may have been planted a little early, but my eager assistant couldn't be stopped. I will likely have to re-sew these crops later when they can be moved outside quickly.

None-the-less, it's inspiring to see a 5-yr-old so invested in planting and growing food she will one day eat. I can only hope that her enthusiasm will grow with her, and that gardening will always be an important part of her life.